Real Estate Agency Courses (REA)
Inspired to start your own real estate business?
The Real Estate Agency (REA) course is the next step if you want to own a real estate company. Enrol now in the Real Estate Agency (REA) Course and you would have taken the very important step towards building a successful career in real estate in Singapore.
If you are aspiring to be a key executive officer (KEO) of a real estate agency, passing the REA Course or its equivalent is again one of the registration criteria.
All practising company directors and partners are also required to pass the CEA’s Real Estate Agency (REA) examination.
Course Fees: $2,996.00 ($2,800 + GST) excludes exam fees
- Must be Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident (PR) of Singapore
- Attained minimum 75% attendance
- REA examinations
Click here for more information
- Self-sponsored applicants can apply for UTAP funding of up to $250
(Cap at 50% of unfunded course fees)
Click here for more on UTAP
Course Duration: 26 Sessions, 3 hr each
Under the new regulatory regime administered by the Council for Estate Agencies, the estate agency must appoint a key executive officer (KEO) who is responsible for the overall management of the business and supervision of all its salespersons.
As stipulated under the Estate Agents Act 2010, the KEO has to satisfy enhanced licensing conditions including passing the CEA’s Real Estate Agency (REA) examination or have equivalent qualification.
The KEO must also demonstrate to the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) that he has put in place the proper policies and procedures for the management of the business. These are stipulated in the Code of Practice under the Estate Agents (Estate Agency Work) Regulations 2010. All practising company directors and partners are also required to pass the CEA’s Real Estate Agency (REA) examination.
The REA syllabus is prepared in the context of laws in Singapore governing real estate agency and related work and shall focus on sale and lease transactions involving private residential, HDB, commercial and industrial properties located in Singapore.
The syllabus does not include laws or regulations of other countries governing transactions of foreign properties and real estate agents are advised to be familiar of such laws or regulations when advising their clients in foreign properties transactions.
Candidates are expected to be equipped to:
- have good knowledge of real estate agency business and the real estate agent industry;
- have sufficient knowledge of laws governing estate agency work and how they relate to practice;
- be conversant with prescribed regulations and practices governing private residential, HDB, commercial and industrial property sales and tenancy transactions;
- be conversant with good business development and office management practices;
- understand and apply CEA’s Estate Agents Act and regulations, Code of Ethics and Professional Client Care, and Code of Practice with respect to real estate agency business and work.
REA comprises of 3 Papers.
Paper 1: Covers the legal framework of real estate
Paper 2: Focus is on the knowledge for carrying out estate agency work, such as marketing, knowledge of various regulations and policies when dealing with different types of properties, financial assessment, etc.
Paper 3: Covers the knowledge and skill sets for managing and operating an estate agency business.
Click here for full syllabus.
REA Course Schedule
REA Course Schedule
*Exam slots are subject to availability.
Please refer to Exam Administrators - SEAMEO Regional Language Centre (RELC) for more details.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL QUALIFICATIONS AND ASSESSMENT OF QUALIFICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO COURSE COMMENCEMENT.
Venue: 490 Lor 6 Toa Payoh, #09-16 HDB Hub Biz 3
Course Fees: $2,996.00 ($2,800 + GST) excludes exam fees
You may register ONLINE via the link provided above or PERSONALLY at RCN’s office.
Participants are to ensure that all documentations and original certificates are readily available to be produced prior to course commencement.
490 Lor 6 Toa Payoh, #09-16 HDB Hub,
Biz Hub 3
Office hours: Mon – Fri: 9am – 6pm
Closed on Sat, Sun & Public Holiday
Assessment of Qualifications
Please refer to the attached form for all the requirements for the Assessment of Qualifications in lieu of the 4 O levels by CEA. You will need to come down personally to RCN office with the original documents and to make payment for the assessment of qualifications. Assessment will not be submitted if documentations are not complete and payment of the Assessment Fees not made. Please note that it takes at least 15 working days for CEA to reply on the assessment outcome.
For more information, contact:
Office: 6511 3009
Our team of REA trainers include:
- Mr Terence Tan a LLM, ACCA (Grad), Advocate and Solicitor, is a specialist legal trainer and consultant. He taught at the Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore for many years (and taught subjects like Company Law, Computer Law and Insolvency) and still conducts courses there, eg. part of the Graduate Certificate in International Arbitration course.
Mr Harry Yeo is a real estate practitioner and trainer. He has a total of 45 years of work experience, with 22 years of teaching experience in real estate courses. Prior to joining the real estate industry, he has held senior executive positions at various financial institutions in Singapore, Malaysia and New Zealand. Harry started his teaching career in 1996 by preparing students for the CEHA. To-date, he has taught thousands of students who have successfully passed the various real estate examinations.
Harry holds a Master of Business Administration degree from Oklahoma City University of U.S.A., a Certificate-in-CEHA, Certificate-in-REA, Certificate-in-RES and Certificate in Conveyancing Law from SIM University. He is also a fully qualified ACTA certified-trainer for WDA's Singapore Workforce Skills Qualification (WSQ) training programme.
- Mr Kent Soo is the Group Associate Director of Real Centre International with over 12 years of industry experience in the property market. Previously from Knight Frank Property Network, Kent has conducted Real Estate Foundations workshop for real estate agents. He is an approved CPD trainer for Real Centre Network and Kent regularly conducts training such as Private Residential, HDB Leasing and Sales. Kent holds the Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA) and is certified in Common Examination for House Agents.
- Mdm Eunice Lim holds a MSC in Real Estate with Herroit Watt University, BBA (RMIT) in Business Management majoring in Finance, CEHA certificate and is currently pursuing her Masters in Professional Education with NTU/NIE. She also holds a Diploma in Adult and Continuing Education (DACE) and WSQ Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA). Eunice trains for the REA course.
To sit for the REA exam, an applicant must:
- Have minimum of 4 GCE ‘O’ Levels passes or equivalent and is at least 21 years old.
- Complete the REA Course prior to registering for exams.
Certificate of Completion will only be awarded to participants who fulfil a minimum of 75% attendance and is required for examination registration. The Certificate is valid for a period of 2 years from the date of completion of the REA course. Beyond the validity period, participants are required to attend and complete the REA course again before they are eligible to take the REA examinations.
There will be NO make-up lessons for participants who have missed any lessons.
A candidate applying for salesperson registration may take the REA examination directly without passing the RES examination. New Entrants to the real estate industry are encouraged to do the RES course.
Please check with CEA directly on licencing criteria if you intend to apply for your Estate Agent licence after completing the REA Course.
- Successful candidates must apply for registration/ licensing with CEA within 24 months of the date of issuance of the examination certificate after which, results will be invalid for licensing and registration purposes.
- Please be informed that attending the REA Course and passing the REA Examination does not automatically qualify an individual to apply for an Estate Agent Licence. The applicant has to comply with the full registration requirements stipulated under the Estate Agents Act, which include meeting the fit and proper criteria. Please check the prevailing registration criteria which can be found at www.cea.gov.sg at before registering for the REA Course.
- For foreigners who wish to register with CEA as salespersons, they will need to have a valid Employment Pass (EP) issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). They should consult an estate agent that is prepared to support their future registration application, who would then check with CEA. Thereafter, when they register for the RES Course, they will need to produce a letter of support from the estate agent.
For more information, contact:
Office: 6511 3009
Course Eligibility Criteria
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have at least one of the following:
- Minimum qualification of 4 GCE 'O' levels passes in two (2) sittings or
- Higher NITEC or
- Diplomas from the local* government polytechnics or
- Degrees from the local* government universities (NUS, NTU, SMU).
- Please note that qualifications not awarded by the Singapore Government schools (e.g. private educational institutions) and all overseas qualifications will need to be assessed before acceptance of the course enrolment.
There will be administrative fee of $53.50 (inclusive of 7% GST) collected by Real Centre Network on behalf of CEA for the purpose of assessment of the applicant’s educational qualification(s). This is to ensure that RES/REA course participants meet the minimum educational requirement of at least 4 GCE “O” Level passes (applicable to new entrants who later wish to register as salespersons) before the participants are permitted to enrol for the RES/REA Course. The administrative fee is to defray the costs in the assessment of each application.
- Individuals who are unable to meet the minimum qualification criteria will be required to take the Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WPLN) assessment administered by WDA. A WPLN (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing and Numeracy) Level 5 will be recognised in lieu of 4 GCE "O" level passes.
Details of the assessments can be found here.
REA is the new and only industry entry qualifying exams for Real Estate Licensees. The REA Examination is administered by CEA's appointed exam administrator, Informatics.
The appointed exam administrator carries out the registration of candidates, conducts the examination and also inform candidates of their results.
To apply for the REA examination, candidates have to register directly with CEA's appointed exam administrator.
1. 3 papers (2 ½ hours per paper) with 8 essay questions each
2. Candidates to answer any 5 out of the 8 questions for each paper
3. Duration of Examination Paper: 2.5 hrs for each paper.
4. With effect from July 2015 onwards, modular passing will be allowed for the REA examinations. Candidates who obtain a modular pass (in one or two papers) from July 2015 REA examination will be allowed to retake only their failed paper(s) in modular re-sitting in subsequent REA examinations).
Full Sitting (3 Papers): $556.40
Modular Re-Sitting (2 Papers): $438.70
Modular Re-Sitting (1 Paper): $288.90
List of appointed Exam Administrators
SEAMEO Regional Language Centre (RELC)
Office: 30 Orange Grove Road Level 3 RELC Building Singapore 258352
Tel no: 6734 1292
Please check directly with SEAMEO Regional Language Centre (RELC) with regards to exam slots and closing dates for registration.
REA Examination Schedule 2020
Month Schedule Date/Time Paper Type Registration Closing Date Mar 2020 25 Mar, Wed (7pm - 9:30pm) 26 Mar, Thu (7pm - 9:30pm) 27 Mar, Fri (7pm - 9:30pm) REA PAPER 1 REA PAPER 2 REA PAPER 3 13 Mar 2020, Fri Jul 2020 22 Jul, Wed (7pm - 9:30pm) 23 Jul, Thu (7pm - 9:30pm) 24 Jul, Fri (7pm - 9:30pm) REA PAPER 1 REA PAPER 2 REA PAPER 3 10 Jul 2020, Fri Nov 2020 25 Nov, Wed (7pm - 9:30pm) 26 Nov, Thu (7pm - 9:30pm) 27 Nov, Fri (7pm - 9:30pm) REA PAPER 1 REA PAPER 2 REA PAPER 3 13 Nov 2020, Fri
Please note that, under exceptional circumstances, the REA examination dates are subject to change. Please check the examination timetable with CEA prior to examination registration.